Thursday, November 03, 2005

A Sweet Memory

The fact that we are limited creatures doesn't sound so exciting to some, but there are unexpected (and unexpected because of our limits!) moments when the Lord reminds you of how precious and glorious He is. Do you ever expect to be driving, in a hurry for that matter, to work and He bring something to mind so wonderful that it moves you to tears?
Memories can be bittersweet, and such a memory for me is of my grandmother. Over a year has passed since she left this place and there are not many experiences that have been more beautiful in my life than when she passed away. My grandmother and I had this indescribable bond that joined our hearts from as far back as I can remember. When I think of any individuals, particularly in my own family, who have radiated Christ, she is often one of, if not the, first one who pops into my mind. She is the woman I have always looked to as a godly wife, woman of gentle and quiet grace, and one who treasured the Lord more deeply than any earthly things.
Today I was driving to work, in a hurry, and a song came on the radio. It's one I've heard several times but have never actually listened to. The song is Bart Millard's remake of the old hymn, "In the Sweet By and By," with the same chorus but new verses. So this song came on the radio and this is what it says:

"Seven years old upon my knees/On the third row pew, trying to see My grandmamma sing In the Sweet By and By/ It wasn't the sweetest soundin' thing/ But there's somethin' about when grandmamma sang/ That moved your feet, stirred something up inside/ To see her grin from ear to ear/ One thing for sure was very clear/ This wasn't just a song/ It was her life// (chorus) In the sweet by and by/ We shall meet on that beautiful shore/ In the sweet by and by/ We shall meet on that beautiful shore// Now times have changed to say the least/ My grandmamma's voice , a memory/ Just like the old song said, she's on that shore/ And if she's looking down on me/ I hope she's proud of what she sees/ Cause thanks to her I'm walkin' with the Lord/ Oh to hear her once again/ Wrap herself around that hymn/ Lord, If I could just go back once more// (chorus)// There's a land that is fairer than day/ By faith we can see it afar/ For the Father waits over the way/ To prepare us a dwelling place there/ Oh I can hear her singing along..."

This sudden, overwhelming feeling of gratitude overcame me, and I began to cry. She was so precious, and I'm not sad that she's no longer here, but when I do think of her, I can only hope that my life even resembles such a woman of quiet, gentle grace. She was a godly wife, and she just loved Him, and treasured Him far more than any earthly things. "Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior. . . .They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled"(Titus 2:3-5). That was her life. And I do miss hearing her sing from time to time...

No comments: