Thursday, December 29, 2011

11 Lessons from 2011~


I'm wrapping up more than a week of being off from work, of not setting an alarm each morning, and staying in my bathrobe until who knows when. The time has been enjoyable, restful, and much needed. The days have been filled with lots of rest, good food, time with friends and family (my dad was even in town last weekend!), and catching up on some quality reading and crocheting.
With all the extra time afforded me this week, I've thought much about what all has happened over the course of the year. How will I label or define 2011 in the years to come? What has marked this past year, and what do I see when I look back? Do I praise the Lord and see evidence of, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope..." (Jer. 29:11)?
As I reflected on these questions, I came up with this "11 from 11" list, a list of lessons learned over the past twelve months:

~

1. I have so much more than I deserve, and so much more than I acknowledge.
2. With each passing year, I am increasingly more aware of the Lord's grace and care for me through my husband.
3. Value the friendships you have; don't force those that simply are not going to happen (or have had their season).
4. The fear of disappointment can be utterly crippling.
5. I am not in control, from the minutest of details to significant, life-altering events.
6. I long for somewhere to call "home," and yet, wherever I am with my husband is home.
7. Opportunities for counseling may be scarce, but my desire has not diminished.
8. Reading books, both fiction and not, is good for the soul.
9. My tendency is to want my 20s over and done with, but the reality of 30 drawing near is a bit overwhelming.
10. When you think you are dependent on the Lord, He reveals to you just how much you are still relying on yourself.
11. 'The Lord is my portion', says my soul, 'therefore I will hope in Him.' (Lamentations 3:24)

~

The Lord is good, the Lord is faithful, the Lord is our Provider and Sustainer. I'm eager for what lies ahead as we close this chapter and turn the page to a new year.

Now it's your turn: what have you learned over the course of 2011?


3 comments:

PandaMom said...

Beautiful!!! Love reading your so-grown-up-voice in these words. Each thing made me stop and think about it in my own life. Love you much, girly!! ; )

Funderstorm said...

I hope I'm not one that has had its season. :) So blessed by who you are in your marrow.

Love, love, LOVE you.

BreAnna Fowler said...

You will love your thirties. I promise! Miss your face. :)