Wednesday, December 12, 2007

24 Days ~ "When sin becomes bitter, marriage becomes sweet"

I find it increasingly hard to believe that the big day is just around the corner. After all of this waiting, and currently still waiting, I find it more and more surreal that I'm getting to the end of all the wedding plans leading up to the moment when all of the "to-do"'s will come to fruition. We are continuing to setup house while I still have an apartment full of stuff (and there's a lot of stuff) which is quite indicative of how I feel tossed between two different worlds. There is the world characterized by my being a student (the end is finally in sight!) and living on my own, having items in my apartment that have traveled to each location these past several years and can finally be donated or completely trashed. The plastic trash can is finally being replaced with the sleek, stainless steel one, and the dishes are matching each other more and more everyday. Then there is the world of which I am still on the brink. I am so close to no longer living on my own, looking out for myself and my possessions, and yet I am still in the preparatory stage. It's as if I am looking out towards the horizon which is much closer than before, and yet still feels so far away at times. I am learning everyday that we will never stop learning about one another. As much as we know each other now, there are both daily quirks and deep emotions yet to be revealed. At times I know that my tendency to argue stems from stress and anticipation that I allow to build up. I am marrying a man who is open and honest when he is frustrated which has moved me to trusting all the more in the Lord's sovereignty for seeing fit that I become united with him. Because of this, my sinful tendency is laid bare. While quite uncomfortable, such exposure is both necessary and good for my sanctification. How wretched that we, poor sinners we are, put up a defense against something that is clearly intended for our good! Rather than accept such truth and encouragement from the one to whom I will soon wed, I actually spend time trying to justify my horrid attitude. Praise the Lord that even now, prior to the actual marriage, He is showing me just how crucial and instrumental my spouse is and will continuing being to my sanctification. Praise Him that such confessions and conversations are taking place now rather than ten years down the road...

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. ~Colossians 3:12-17 (verses 18-19 happen to address husbands and wives)
"Saying that marriage is a model of Christ and the church places it firmly on the basis of grace, because that is the way Christ took the church to be his bride, by grace alone. And that is how he sustains his relationship with the church—by grace alone." ~ John Piper

1 comment:

Amanda said...

oh my gosh I'm so excited for you to get married! I just absolutely think that marriage is one of God's most beautiful creations! So much of you will change and become better and you get to go through it all (good and bad) with your best friend. It's fantastic!