Monday, April 06, 2009

Song for Sunday ~ In Light of the Cross and Resurrection


Lover
(words & music by D. Webb)
Like a man comes to an altar I came into this town
With the world upon My shoulders and promises passed down
And I went into the water and My Father, He was pleased
I built it and I’ll tear it down so you will be set free
~
But I found thieves and salesmen living in My Father’s house
I know how they got in here and I know how to get ‘em out
I’m turning this place over from floor to balcony
And then just like these doves and sheep you will be set free
~
I have always been a lover from before I drew a breath
Some things I loved easy and some I loved to death
Because love’s no politician, it listens carefully
Of those who come I can’t lose one, so you will be set free
~
So go on and take My picture, go on and make Me up
I’ll still be your Defender, you’ll be My missing son
And I’ll send out an army just to bring you back to Me
'Cause regardless of your brother’s lies you will be set free
~
I am My Beloveds and My Beloved’s Mine
So you bring all your history and I’ll bring the bread and wine
And we’ll have us a party where all the drinks are on Me
Then as surely as the rising sun you will be set free
Oh, you will be set free


~~~
We had the opportunity to sing this at church during the worship service yesterday morning just prior to the preaching of the Word. Most in the congregation had never heard this before, and I was blessed to help introduce such powerful words and music to them. I almost wish we had put the words up for the congregation to be able to read, but even still, many were moved by the incredible message. I found it to be so appropriate not only being sung just prior to the sermon, but also as we enter into the upcoming days that many refer to as Passion Week. We talked in our small group last night about how often this holiday tends to zip by as one of many others throughout the year, and yet, this is the most crucial and life-altering event to have taken place in history... I have been overwhelmed to the point of feeling mute as I have been reflecting on passages in Scripture which tell of the agony of the Crucifixion and that earth-shattering day when the sky went dark, the earth shook, and the temple curtain was torn in two. We as believers should never let this season pass us by without true remembrance and reflection on what this all really means - one day that changed the course of history forever, one day that made it possible for us to stand blameless before the Lord, one day when the Man of Sorrows took our wretchedness, guilt and shame fully upon Himself. We can claim no other life, no other hope than that day two thousand years ago when Christ fulfilled the Old Testament prophecy of the Messiah coming to initiate the new covenant with His people. Christ was born to die, and Christ died knowing that He would ultimately rise again. May we be in awe of the soul-transforming power of the cross. Oh, this would be the season more than any other when we are so fully aware of His mercy and grace that we are overflowing the passion to share this death-defying Gospel truth with others.

1 comment:

You Little O Wife said...

Beautiful song. I miss hearing your beautiful gift of music too! I was just thinking about how long it's been since I heard you sing. :)